Re: [AMBER] compile AMBER 22 with non-default gcc

From: Scott Brozell via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 02:17:20 -0400

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 05, 2022 at 12:08:11AM +0100, Vlad Cojocaru via AMBER wrote:
> On an openSUSE Tumbleweed machine, I am trying to compile AMBER 22 with a
> non-default gcc. It worked with the default gcc (which points to gcc-12) but
> I cannot build the CUDA enabled executables because CUDA only supports gcc
> up to 11. So, I am trying to use "gcc-11" instead.
>
> I tried modifying the run_cmake file to include the options
> "-DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=gcc-11 -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=g++-11
> -DCMAKE_FORTRAN_COMPILER=gfortran-11"
>
> I also tried setting the CC, CXX. FC environment variables (export CC=gcc-11
> ... ). However, run_cmake still tries to compile with the default gcc
> ignoring all these settings.

There's a gotcha: CMAKE_FORTRAN_COMPILER should be CMAKE_Fortran_COMPILER.
(This was discovered late in amber 22 release testing and deemed low
priority. Perhaps we were high on fungi as this looks like too mushroom
for error in hindsight 8.)

I used this to build with them thar new fangled oneapi compilers:

  cmake $AMBER_PREFIX/amber22_src \
    -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$AMBER_PREFIX/amber22 \
    -DCOMPILER=MANUAL \
    -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=icx \
    -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=icpx \
    -DCMAKE_F90_COMPILER=ifx \
    -DCMAKE_Fortran_COMPILER=ifx \
    -DBUILD_QUICK=TRUE \
    -DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE=TRUE \
    -DCOLOR_CMAKE_MESSAGES=FALSE \
    -DMPI=FALSE -DCUDA=FALSE -DINSTALL_TESTS=TRUE \
    -DDOWNLOAD_MINICONDA=TRUE \
    2>&1 | tee cmake.log

scott