Re: [AMBER] Strange RMSD tower appearing in simulation

From: Dr. Anselm Horn <anselm.horn.fau.de>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 10:12:56 +0200

Following the call to chime in:

>From the shape of the RMSD plot, I'm pretty sure that this indicates an
imaging (or wrapping) problem originating from the use of iwrap=1. I
have seen many similar graphs in multimeric protein systems in my own
raw MD runs (, but also in published work).
Visual inspection of the simulation runs yielded an instantaneous "jump"
of one or more protein chains from one trajectory frame to the other.

Dave's analysis of the problem and David's advice to use the "unwrap"
option in cpptraj worked for me in all the cases.

Note, however, that you may have to use your original water-containing,
not-yet rmsd-fit trajectory for that procedure. But be sure to do the
deletion of solvent molecules *prior* to the unwrapping; otherwise you'd
create an unnecessary computational burden for your machine.

Regards,

Anselm