Re: [AMBER] Problems with RMSF calculations

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 20:58:44 -0400

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 4:47 PM <kartik.lakshmi.gmail.com> wrote:

> However, when I replace this formula and compute deviations wrt a reference
> value (see Case II), I do get RMSF34 > RMSF1234 > RMSF12. Since I do supply
> a reference frame (first frame) I would have expected cpptraj to be doing
> something like Case II.

The reference gets used by the rms command (thereby best-fitting on
the specified reference and removing global rotation/translation) but
reference structures are *not* used by atomicfluct (nowhere in the
manual entry is it said reference structures are employed). Going back
to the original question, there are two independent MD trajectories
starting from the same initial coordinates. The fact that the RMSF
profile of the first trajectory is different from the second
trajectory simply indicates that the atoms are undergoing somewhat
different motions in each simulation, ergo the two trajectories are
not converged. This is a perfectly reasonable result with limited
sampling.

-Dan