Re: [AMBER] Problems with RMSF calculations

From: <kartik.lakshmi.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 13:46:47 -0700

   Hi Daniel,

   Thanks a lot for the clarification. I agree with you that the RMSF of the
   pd1 and pd2 would not be the average of the individual RMSFs of pd1 and pd2.
   But I was thinking that it would be somewhere close to the average value and
   not greater than of the larger of the two RMSFs (for my case pd1).

   I tried to play with the example you gave with a simpler system and I do see
   that RMSF1234 > RMSF12 and RMSF1234 > RMSF34 when using the RMSF formula
   that contains the deviation from the average value (see Case I in the
   attached png).

   However, when I replace this formula and compute deviations wrt a reference
   value (see Case II), I do get RMSF34 > RMSF1234 > RMSF12. Since I do supply
   a reference frame (first frame) I would have expected cpptraj to be doing
   something like Case II.

   If indeed the formula being used is similar to the Case I formula then what
   is the use of the reference. Using the average position as reference (as
   Kenneth suggested earlier) seems redundant.

   Thanks a lot for all the help!

   Kartik