Re: [AMBER] Problems with RMSF calculations

From: Kenneth Huang <kennethneltharion.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 18:58:53 -0400

Hi,

I don’t think cpptraj RMSF script is
> actually giving me the anticipated ‘average’ value of the RMSF when
> using
> two 250 ns simulations.

So the thing that jumps to mind- when you RMS the individual 250 portions,
I'm guessing it goes something like

parm *.prmtop
trajin prod1.nc 1 last 1
rms .CA first
rmsf .CA out rmsf_1.dat

parm *.prmtop
trajin prod2.nc 1 last 1
rms .CA first
rmsf .CA out rmsf_1.dat

So the trick is that the point of reference you RMS to for each portion
varies, ie the first frame of that 250 ns portion is going to vary between
the two unless you've specifically load up the same frame to work as a
reference. So to keep a 'consistent' comparison it might be something more
like

parm *.prmtop
trajin first_ref.pdb 1 1 1
trajin prod2.nc 1 last 1
rms @CA first
rmsf .CA out rmsf_1.dat

That said, taking an average of two averages is a little tricky, especially
if they're subsections of the same time series.

Best,

Kenneth