Re: [AMBER] Energy values from mdout files (excluding solvent molecules)

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 12:04:15 -0400

Hi,

The "energy" calculation from cpptraj will typically only calculate
potential energies (if velocities are present it will also try to
calculate kinetic energies, but that is less reliable due to how the
leapfrog integrator estimates kinetic energy; cpptraj doesn't have all
that information because it's typically not written to trajectory
files). Also, if you want to have the "exact" energies you need to
make sure you're using PME and the same PME parameters (direct sum
tolerance, spline order, etc). Cpptraj uses the same defaults as
sander/pmemd, but you should double check.

As far as speed, you can improve things in two ways. One is to use the
OpenMP-compiled cpptraj; the energy calculation will benefit from this
quite a bit. The other is to use MPI-compiled cpptraj to divide the
input trajectory up. Ideally, use both (the OpenMP and MPI compiled
code) and you can benefit from both, just be sure that the number of
MPI processes times number of OpenMP threads per process doesn't
exceed the number of available cores.

Hope this helps.

-Dan