Re: [AMBER] help with building an amino acid based surfactant molecule

From: Garcia, Mauro <mgarcia262.islander.tamucc.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 18:22:46 +0000

I apologize for the pros and cons section, it was originally in a table, but I guess it did not allow it to display as such.

On 6/12/20, 1:09 PM, "Garcia, Mauro" <mgarcia262.islander.tamucc.edu> wrote:

    Hello All,

    I am following up on a previous email that was sent by my research advisor (Dr. Eugene Billiot). I have a few questions regarding the application and creation of mixed force fields within a molecule. As mentioned previously in this thread, we are trying to create a micelle using undecyl-leucine-valine (ULV). Previous computational studies on ULV have entirely gaff force fields applied. However, the results produced are not well-suited for our particular study thus we would like to apply mixed force fields to our system. We would like to apply the gaff force field to the hydrocarbon chain (undecanal residue), and the protein.ff14SB force field to the dipeptide (leucine-valine) head group of the surfactant. The structure is displayed below (also attached to this email in case it is not visible):

    [cid:image001.png.01D640BA.A87A7260]

    In attempting to solve this issue, we have created undecanal and have processed it through antechamber and parmchk2, in which antechamber applies the gaff force fields. The output files for antechamber and parmchk2 are the prepi and frcmod files, respectively.

    The files listed below are loaded into xleap:
    Undecanal.prepi
    Undecanal.frcmod

    We edit the undecanal molecule, remove the hydrogen that is adjacent to the carbonyl in order to prepare the unit for dipeptide linkage. The head and tail of the undecanal group are set accordingly. The ULV monomer is then created:
    ULV = sequence {und LEU CVAL}

    However, we need an frcmod file which can properly identify the bond that was created between undecanal and the leucine residue, while also keeping the protein force fields intact.

    We have tried a few scenarios to resolve this issue:

    Scenario #1 (SOP attached to this email):
    We created the prepi and frcmod files for ULV via antechamber and parmchk2, respectively. However, this applies the gaff force field parameters to the entire molecule. As mentioned previously, we would like to maintain the protein force fields for the dipeptide head group. Although this allows us to have an frcmod file that sets the correct bond parameters, it does not have the desire force field parameters and gives the entire molecule one residue name as it has applied gaff force field parameters. We need protein force fields for the dipeptide. On the other hand, this runs through the entire simulation.

    Scenario #2 (SOP attached to this email):
    The mol2 file of ULV was only run through parmchk2 (skipped antechamber to avoid gaff parameters on the dipeptide head group) to obtain the frcmod files of the ULV structure. When loading the frcmod and mol2 file of ULV into xleap, the structure maintained the correct residue names, gaff carbon chain and protein force fields for the dipeptide head group. This allowed us to save the prmtop and inpcrd files for this structure. However, the simulation of the single ULV monomer runs through minimization but once it gets to the warmup, it says “Coordinate resetting (SHAKE) cannot be accomplished, deviation is too large. NITER, NIT, LL, I and J are: 0 2 32 47 50” and does not complete the rest of the simulation.

    Comparing Scenarios:

    Approach
    Pros
    Cons
    Scenario #1
    Runs through simulations
    Only gaff force fields
    Scenario #2
    Protein and gaff force fields
    Fails in simulation

    New Approach?
    In addition to building the ULV unit in Xleap, we have also attempted to build in Avogadro, Molecular Operating Environment (MOE), Pymol and Spartan but we are only able to process these if we run these structures through antechamber, which we do not want.

    Another thread in the Amber mailing list with the subject line “Xleap – disappearance of selection when trying to relax selection” was useful in that Dr. David Case alluded that it was possible to “[build]… entirely with gaff. That should(?) get you structures. Then you can input those structures and generate the mixed force fields you want.” Provided with this information, I am not entirely sure as to approach properly mixing force fields in a molecule that has already been entirely created with gaff. I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to resolve this issue.

    Best regards,
    Mauro A. Garcia