[AMBER] Problem with MMPBSA.py.MPI for nmode

From: Kenneth Huang <kennethneltharion.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 12:36:04 -0400

Sofia,

Huh. From your description, I'm going to guess that one of two things are
going on- either MMPBSA is running into a problem somewhere else and the
message is getting swallowed up, or MMPBSA can't find a way to get your
system to a lower energy state.

In the first case, you can try adding in use_sander=1 to the input; I've
never used it in conjunction with nmode before, so I have no idea how well
it meshes or if it'll actually provide any information. You can also try
running a smaller set of frames, ie one or two, to see if it'll crash with
the same issue. It's fully possible your system is very large for nmode,
and MMPBSA is running out of memory as nmode gets very, very expensive with
larger systems.

But if it is actually stuck on minimization, I have honestly no idea how
you'd fix it. It'd basically mean that nmode is trying to minimize one or
more of your frames, and is unable to find a way in one or more frames so
ends up getting stuck; there might be a solution in the mailing list
somewhere, or a developer might want to weigh in.

Also, looking back at your error message- does your system have periodic
boundaries? If so, it might be worth looking into, since I don't think
nmode plays well with those.

Best,

Kenneth