Re: [AMBER] how to protonate phosphate groups of nucleotides

From: FyD <fyd.q4md-forcefieldtools.org>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 09:08:35 +0200

Dear Valentina,

> thanks for your reply, I will try to generate the files that I need with
> the RED server.
> Btw, I am still wondering if the procedure described here
> http://ambermd.org/antechamber/dna.html

This is the whole molecule approach: this approach is generally
applied to small molecules, which are not multiply charged, and/or
with well identified conformation(s)...

This is why in your case I suggested you the building block approach
(instead of that whole molecule approach):
at http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/REDDB/projects/F-90/ it is written:

"The building block approach presents the following advantages over
the whole molecule approach: (i) the cpu time required for geometry
optimization and molecular electrostatic potential (MEP) computation
is drastically decreased, (ii) the optimized geometry of the
conformation(s) of each building block is fully defined and
controlled, (iii) conformations not suited for charge derivation,
presenting non-bonded interactions only observed in gas phase geometry
optimization are discarded, (iv) cofactors and their analogs are
simultaneously involved in a single and highly homogenous approach,
and finally (v) by generating averaged charge values for connecting
groups, additional and highly compatible charge derivation procedures
can be performed for an infinity of new cofactor analogs constituting
"add-ons" to the present R.E.DD.B. project."

> is correct or if I do not had to take into account. Same question for
> the provided prep files.

Concercing force field library file formats:
   i.e. mol2/mol3 vs prep/off please read:

http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/Tutorial/leap-mol2.php
  and then
http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/Tutorial/leap-mol3.php

the mol3 file format has been specially designed for molecular
fragments and for the building block approach... (the prep file format
is quite old; then came out the off, mol2 and mol3 ones)

regards, Francois