Re: [AMBER] zinc partial charges

From: FyD <fyd.q4md-forcefieldtools.org>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 08:57:42 +0200

Dear Anthony,

> I would like to adjust the partial charges of zinc and the ligands
> in a protein enzymatic active site. I have the .pdb, I know
> precisely which ligands make up the coordination number (three HIS
> and one water). I have access to AmberTools and Gaussian 09. Is it
> possible to place the partial charges straight out of ab initio
> calculations into the Amber-99SB forcefield?

in general charges for chemically equivalent atoms are not
equivalenced in QM program outputs; so 'No' charges from QM outputs
are not used in force field library generation. Instead QM computed
electrostatic potential(s) is(are) exported into the program RESP,
that applies a series of restraints/constraints and among them charge
equivalencing for chemically equivalent atoms...

> From trawling through a lot of literature, manuals and old
> websites, I understand that I would need to use HF/6-31G* or
> B3LYP/6-31G* if I have a metal site. I suspect RESP and antechamber
> will be involved?

for a metal site I would use DFT based QM computation.

you could also use R.E.D. Server Dev./PyRED at
http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/REDServer-Development/

See http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/REDServer-Development/Documentation/
     http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/REDServer-Development/faq.php
     http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/REDServer-Development/news.php