Re: [AMBER] clustering places all frames in one cluster

From: Miguel Ortiz Lombardía <miguel.ortiz-lombardia.afmb.univ-mrs.fr>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 15:11:46 +0200

I have a question regarding the "critical distance" (epsilon) metrics.
If I correctly understand Shao et al. paper, this metrics can be useful,
among others, to decide the number of clusters. However, when ptraj is
run requiring a certain number of clusters, the critical distance is not
reported (I see the average distance to the centroid within each cluster
but not the distance between the clusters centroids) Or is it?

Now, if we do it the other way round, that is, if we fix epsilon in
ptraj then we end with the same problem we had at the beginning: we need
to choose a certain number of clusters to decide what epsilon to apply,
since there seems not to be a clear-cut criterium for epsilon given a
clustering method. Or I misunderstood something (very possible, even
probable)

I would appreciate insights from more clever and experienced people.
Cheers,

Miguel Ortiz Lombardía

Architecture et Fonction des Macromolécules Biologiques (UMR7257)
CNRS, Aix-Marseille Université
Case 932, 163 Avenue de Luminy, 13288 Marseille cedex 9, France
Tel: +33(0) 491 82 55 93
Fax: +33(0) 491 26 67 20
mailto:miguel.ortiz-lombardia.afmb.univ-mrs.fr
http://www.afmb.univ-mrs.fr/Miguel-Ortiz-Lombardia