Re: [AMBER] Fwd: Regarding the problem with ligand conformation

From: Karl N. Kirschner <kkirsch.scai.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 16:59:56 +0100 (CET)

Hi Aneesh,

  It is difficult to say if your simulations went wrong or not. For one, maybe your ligand is sampling conformations that are appropriate for a room temperature solution-phase model (assuming that is what you are doing). The crystal structure was likely solved at a much lower temperature, resulting in the preferred conformation you see in the PDB file.

  With that said, one could investigate how well the different force-field terms that you are using perform at reproducing known experimental observables in analogues, if available. Alternatively you could see how they reproduce QM-generated rotational curves for that molecule or a smaller analogue. Doing so may provide you some confidence in their use in MD simulations. (Be forewarned, this can be time consuming to accomplish.)

Best regards,
Karl