Re: [AMBER] again GLYCAM06 + 99SB + GAFF ?

From: Lachele Foley (Lists) <"Lachele>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 13:39:01 -0400

First, yes, it is possible to divide the molecule into parts and treat
the parts the way you describe. Since you will be doing something a
bit novel, you definitely need to validate the model you generate.
But, yes, you can do that.

> So if I find things not in accordance with experimental data, what can I do
> to change it manually?

That's not a simple question to answer. In part, it depends what you
find that isn't in accordance. Whatever you do, you need to be
careful. The parameters are interrelated, and what counts isn't the
specific value of any one parameter, but the values taken by the
specific bonds, angles, etc., in a minimized or simulated molecule.

That is, if you vary one parameter, say a bond equilibrium value, to
be exactly what you expect it to be, you might find that you've thrown
other values out of whack. Once you fix those, your bond parameter
might be ok, but when placed in a molecule and minimized, you might
never observe the value you wanted.

In relation to that, is also important to note that these force fields
are developed to be somewhat general. That is, any given structure is
likely to behave very similarly to its real counterpart within
contexts appropriate to the force field, but they are still
approximations. In other words, all the values are likely to be a
little bit off. But, in cases where the simulation is reasonable,
the extent to which they disagree should not be large enough to be
important.

There is one other caution in comparing to experiment: compare to the
experimental observation whenever possible, not to the conclusion
drawn by the researcher. For example, assume you find a study where
j-couplings are used to determine certain torsions. The torsions
reported in the study are conclusions the researcher made based on
observed j-couplings. It is better to run a simulation and predict
observed j-couplings from the ensemble-averaged, simulated torsions.
Then, compare the j-couplings you predict to those that are observed.

:-) L

:-) Lachele
Lachele Foley
CCRC/UGA