RE: [AMBER] CUDA Segfault GTX470

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 16:35:15 -0700

Hi Levi,

> I had this working in ubuntu 9.10 but since I upgraded to 10.04 I
> get the
> following
> after running the amber_test_cuda.sh script...

Sigh... I had a fear such things would happen... I understand now why people
like Gaussian are so insistent on specific operating systems. Sure makes
life easier now there is a complete quagmire of Linux OS's and compiler
versions.

> I dropped in a GTX275 and it works fine. I also have another machine
> that
> I installed
> 10.04 on and I have a GTX480 which works fine in it. The kernel is
> 2.6.32-21 and I also
> tried the 2.6.32-22. I tried both gcc-4.4 and gcc-4.3 compilers...any
> ideas?

Switch back to the OS version that worked would be my suggestion. It will be
the least work and the least pain ;-)

Or use RedHat 4 or 5 - they work. Beyond that I'm not sure what to suggest.
I gave up trying to be on the bleeding edge OS and compiler wise a long time
ago, just found a combination that was nice and stable and that's what I
use.

You could try GCC 4.1. Note GCC-4.4 is not yet supported, last time I
checked, with NVCC 3.0 so your choices are 4.3 or less anyway. It would be
nice to know where it segfaults in the code though.

Maybe a stack issue - Try making sure the stack is unlimited.

Are you using the 64bit OS or the 32 bit one?

All the best
Ross

/\
\/