Re: dynamic memory allocation

From: Bill Ross <ross_at_cgl.ucsf.edu>
Date: Wed 14 Feb 2001 10:21:22 -0800 (PST)

> Parallel versions can't do dynamic memory allocation and thus
> require static, compile-time sizing in sizes.h. It sounds like
> the PC version is compiled for parallel (mpi) whereas the SGI
> version is compiled for single-cpu.

        I'm quite confident, that I didn't compile a parallel version on my
        PC. I used the Machine.g77-file.

It should have -DMEM_ALLOC in the MACHINEFLAGS but now that I
look, I see this is missing. Perhaps there was some problem
with it a long time ago, or perhaps this was an oversight;
either way I think it's worth testing now for anyone who
wants the convenience & customized memory footprint on a
g77 box.

        I tried the same job on our XP1000 workstation (TrueUnix64) and received
        the following error message:

           ** failed to allocate pair array, bytes: 633154916

        Is this the same problem ?

No, in this case dynamic memory allocation is active (and sizes.h
is ignored as stated in the comment there). The problem is that
the system places limits on various aspects of process resurce
consumption. Try 'limit' to see what these are, and e.g. 'unlimit
datasize' etc. to see if you can undo the restriction.

        Just for couriosity I checked that file on our SGI-Installation - and it
        had (as I expected) the same value for MAXPR 4500000).

But -DMEM_ALLOC was used in compilation, making MAXPR irrelevant.

Bill Ross