Re: [AMBER] cpptraj and nastruct

From: Daniel Roe via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 11:03:41 -0400

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 6, 2023 at 11:59 PM Jing Qu <jqu2.ncsu.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How do the nastruct determine the base pairing? Or how do I change the base pairing criteria?

This is all explained in the 'nastruct' entry in the cpptraj section
of the Amber manual (or the cpptraj manual):

"Base pairs are determined either once from the first frame or from a reference
structure, or can be determined each frame if allframes is specified. Base
pairing is determined first by base reference axis origin distance,
then by stagger,
then by angle between base Z axes, then finally by hydrogen bonding (at least
one hydrogen bond must be present). Base pair parameters will only be written
for determined base pairs."

> Should I try to find an "ideal" structure as a reference?

This might be your best bet.

> When I use the 'allframes' keyword, It will show one base paired with several bases at the same time, like (2,3), (2,15), (3,15), (3,16), (4,15). There is a bit of a mess. And I am hoping they correspond simply one to another, in order.

Without seeing your system, I can't determine whether the default base
pairing criterion is failing or if you have a very strange system. If
you want to send me off-list your topology and a few trajectory frames
I can look at it directly.

-Dan