Re: [AMBER] Restraining Counterions in Regular MD Simulations

From: Rory Crean via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 08:23:38 +0000

Hi Christina and David,

Thanks for your comments and information. To clarify, I don't disagree that these things can and would interact in real life and that it is okay to see them interacting in a simulation. The problem was that after a relatively short amount of production MD (10s of ns), several ions would end up "stuck" (so not diffusively swapping in and out) to the ligands phosphate groups (over several 100s of ns at least), which does seem like an artefact. I have ran repeats and observed the same behaviour.

Based on what you've said Christina I'll look into the phosphate group parameters I'm using for the ligand tto make sure they aren't responsible and might also try using potassium instead given the PMFs in Figure 3 in the paper you linked.

And thank you David for the confirmation that the harmonic restraints wont work for this sort of problem, that's good to know.

All the best,

Rory