Re: [AMBER] Restraining Counterions in Regular MD Simulations

From: David A Case via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 16:49:51 -0400

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023, Rory Crean via AMBER wrote:

>I've therefore been working on trying to place harmonic restraints to
>prevent the sodium ions from coming too close to the phosphate groups.

First, I agree with Christina here: is this what you really want to do? How
will you avoid overemphasizing phosphate-repulsions? And, how could you
justify any quantitative results you find with such ad hoc modeling?

Second, the "NMR" distance restraints are not set up for periodicity. The
distance between a given sodium and a given phosphate may not represent the
closest distance between that Na and all of the image phosphates in other
unit cells, especially given the high mobility of ions.

So, I don't immediately see any way in Amber to achieve your goal. Maybe
others on the list have ideas.

....dac