Re: [AMBER] Restraining Counterions in Regular MD Simulations

From: Christina Bergonzo via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 11:13:20 -0400

Hi Rory,

That the Na+ ions associate with the phosphate oxygens sounds like
something that *should* happen during the simulation, since it is something
that does happen in situ.
Na+ should interact with phosphate groups either diffusely (through the
first hydration shell) or by chelating an oxygen atom.
However, the experimental data for ion-water exchange rate says (and ion
parameters match!) that these events are fast, happening on the 10^-10 s
timescale (sub-nanosecond, maybe tens to hundreds of picoseconds
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/ct3000734).

I think you're going to introduce more problems by creating restraints than
by allowing the Na+ to equilibrate, even if part of the time it's
associating with the phosphates.

Otherwise, I'd jump into using a GB model where you don't have to "worry"
about quantifying these explicit interactions.

-Christina