Re: [AMBER] problem loading the trajectory files in vmd

From: Matias Machado <mmachado.pasteur.edu.uy>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2021 18:55:07 -0300 (UYT)

Dear Ankita,

VMD 1.9.3 is able to read all AMBER file formats in Linux and Windows, but there is an issue reading ".ncrst" in Mac.

Most likely the automatic detection of the file extension failed due to a wrong naming...

The extension ".mdcrd" is quite old and well supported in VMD. But you should check that you "mdcrd" is actually in the old ACII file format (I suspect this is the problem). if it is binary (the default output in new AMBER versions) then it is a NetCDF file. Hence the correct extension that is automatically detected by VMD is ".nc" (for trajectories) or ".ncrst" (for a restart file).

To manually load a NetCDF file select "NetCDF (AMBER, MMTK)" in the "Molecule file browser" window of VMD...

Hope it helps,

Matías

PhD.
Protein Engineering Unit
Institut Pasteur de Montevideo
Mataojo 2020, Montevideo, 11400, Uruguay