Re: [AMBER] Automated capping of missing loops?

From: Brian Radak <brian.radak.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 13:52:48 -0400

I presume you are only recommending dangling ends for density fitting,
not simulation. Unfortunately I'm looking to prepare a ligand-protein
complex for a binding free energy calculation, so dangling ends are no
good, as are strong charged interactions with termini.

I did notice the gap detection in pdb4amber, although most deposited
PDBs have a list of missing residues already, so this is not a huge time
saver. I played around with ParmEd for a bit trying to insert new
atoms/residues for the caps, but it was hopelessly difficult when the
insertion is in the middle of a chain (you have to re-index the residues
or else split the chain and then re-combine - just not good).

I'm just surprised, bc this is ridiculously easy in CHARMM/XPLOR with
residue patching, even if the resulting capped residue is non-standard.

Cheers,

Brian