Re: [AMBER] TI simulation blowing up with pmemd.CUDA

From: Debarati DasGupta <debarati_dasgupta.hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 13:52:01 +0000

Hello Senal,

I hope you are doing good.
Welcome to the “tricky-TI” project.
Well, I have been doing some TI calculations in AMBER20 since last 1 year, and I have faced many issues and a lot of help/directions were given by Prof Case
( I genuinely thank him for that).
What are your system details? Total number of atoms? Are you doing RBFE or ABFE? What’s the process for which you are trying to calculate the FE?
I have always done the concerted protocol, where you decharge and remove the LJ interactions in 1 step.. Yes it can be error prone but using the smoothstep softcore (SSC P=2) potentials ( search Darrin York latest TI papers published in June/July 2020 JCIM) , a lot of those issues got resolved. I would also recommend doing a non-TI, simple conventional MD equilibration and production to help alleviate unfavourable interactions, high energies, steric clashes, prior to setting up the TI calculations. I can provide you some more tips I used, depending on what system and what FE you are trying to calculate. If possible switch to AMBER20, just switching from AMBER18 to20 solved some of my TI based problems.
Best wishes
Debarati