[AMBER] nmropt vs infe

From: Gard Nelson <Gard.Nelson.Immunitybio.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 21:56:17 +0000

Hi all,

I want to run some free energy calulations. I’ve used the NMRopt module for simple distance-based restraints in the past, but some of the collective variables and methods in the free energy module would be really useful. I set up and ran a simple distance-based SMD calculation and found that it slowed my simulation down ~10x (4.41 ns/day) compared to unbiased MD (42.00 ns/day). I set up the same calculation (except US instead of SMD) using nmropt instead and found the slowdown to be ~10% (37.53 ns/day) which is about what I’d expect. Additionally, the slowdown with nmropt is grows with the number of atoms I include in the COM calculation, whereas with SMD, the slowdown is constant whether I use 2 atoms or 700.

Is this expected behavior or am I doing something wrong? I’m using pmemd.cuda from amber18 with all the patches applied. I’ve pasted input files for each simulation below. Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks for your help!
Gard

SMD input
mdin:
NVT
&cntrl
  imin=0,
  irest=1,
  ntx=5,
  ntxo=2,
  iwrap=1,
  ioutfm=1,
  ntb=1,
  ntp=0,
  cut=8.0,
  nstlim=5000000,
  dt=0.002,
  ntf=2,
  ntc=2,
  temp0=300.0,
  ntpr=5000,
  ntwx=50000,
  ntt=3,
  gamma_ln=5.0,
  ig=-1,
  infe=1,
/
&ewald
/
&smd
  output_file = 'smd.dat'
  output_freq = 5000
  cv_file = 'def_CV-SMD'
/

cv_file:
&colvar
  cv_type = 'DISTANCE'
  cv_ni = 2
  cv_i = 5119,13218
  npath = 2
  path = 0.0,100.0
  path_mode = 'LINES'
  nharm = 1
  harm = 0.0
/

US input
mdin:
NVT
&cntrl
  imin=0,
  irest=1,
  ntx=5,
  ntxo=2,
  iwrap=1,
  ioutfm=1,
  ntb=1,
  ntp=0,
  cut=8.0,
  nstlim=50000,
  dt=0.002,
  ntf=2,
  ntc=2,
  temp0=300.0,
  ntpr=5000,
  ntwx=5000,
  ntt=3,
  gamma_ln=5.0,
  ig=-1,
  nmropt=1
/
&ewald
/
&wt
  type='DUMPFREQ'
  istep1=5000
/
&wt
  type='END'
/
DISANG=d-rst
DUMPAVE=01_NVT.US.dat

DISANG:
US window
&rst
  iat=-1,-1,
  igr1=5119,5259,
  igr2=13218,13371,
  r1=40,
  r2=50,
  r3=50,
  r4=60,
  rk2=0,
  rk3=0,
  fxyz=1,1,1,
  outxyz=1
/

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This e-mail message and any attachments are only for the use of the intended recipient and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, distribution or other use of this e-mail message or attachments is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail message in error, please delete and notify the sender immediately. Thank you.