Re: [AMBER] CHARMM Forcefield in Amber - which barostat and ntp to use?

From: Sally Pias <sallypias.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 11:52:33 -0600

Rich Pastor sent the following.

Sally – you can forward my response to the appropriate people.

The CHARMM Lipid FF, C36 was developed using CHARMM, which has a
Nose-Hoover based barostat. In CHARMM it’s called the Langevin Piston
because you can set a collision frequency (called gamma) to provide some
damping which can be useful when developing initial conditions. (This is
not the same as using Langevin dynamics to as a thermostat.)

Most of the group is now using OpenMM for most in-house membrane
simulations. The only viable option for pressure control at present is a
Monte Carlo barostat. We have tested this extensively, and membrane
properties for C36 are the same as those run with CHARMM. These results
will be included in an upcoming publication.

Rich