Re: [AMBER] GBSA

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 09:13:48 -0400

I agree with Matias about the misconception, MD is not always faster in GB-
it can actually take more computer resources per time stepas discussed in
the links he provided . However it can parallelize better, and some global
motions may be sampled in many fewer steps than corresponding dynamics in
explicit solvent. My view is that these are two different models, each with
their own strengths and weaknesses. One is not "better" than the other. For
some projects one is the right choice, for other projects it is not. There
is always a tradeoff between precision and accuracy. One must be aware of
the limitations of all of our models and choose the appropriate one.
Another good example is QM vs MM - each is the appropriate tool in a
different situation.
Carlos