Re: [AMBER] very slow implicit simulation on GPU!!!

From: Matias Machado <mmachado.pasteur.edu.uy>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2018 03:17:56 -0300 (UYT)

Dear Supriyo,

I think, the best way to rule out any possible problem with your GPU card, driver or AMBER installation is downloading and performing the GPU benchmarks available at the AMBER home [http://ambermd.org/gpus/benchmarks.htm#Benchmarks]

Because, it's impossible to guess about any particular feature of your system that may be compromising the speed up, despite the things that were already asked...

In any case, I don't think you are running a "very slow" simulation, How many ns/day were you expecting?

Notice that the scaling factor in implicit simulations is far from being linear... Take a look at the benchmarks as an example: myoglobin is 2500 atoms, while nucleosome is ten times bigger (25000), however the simulation of the nucleosome is about 100 times slower than myoglobin's in GTX980... why? Because, among other things impacting the performance (hardware, compilers, code, bla, bla, bla), you are using a cut-off > 999(9) A, which in practice can be considered as infinite... Hence, ~ NxN non-bonded interactions are being calculated, which for the ratio nucleosome/myoglobin implies 10x10 more interactions to calculate and 100 time slower MD (notice this is just an rough approximation)...

Extrapolating the benchmark to your system of 4000 atoms, I would expect (in the "best case scenario") about 100ns/day, so an speed up of 70ns/day is not bad at all...

You can take a look at this post for other considerations: [http://archive.ambermd.org/201806/0279.html]

Best,

Matías

PhD.
Researcher at Biomolecular Simulations Lab.
Institut Pasteur de Montevideo | Uruguay
[http://pasteur.uy/en/laboratorios-eng/lsbm]
[http://www.sirahff.com]