Re: [AMBER] Regarding restarting from RST files using pmemd.cuda

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 08:22:51 -0400

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 6:57 AM Midhun K Madhu <midhunk16.iiserb.ac.in> wrote:
> My question is, is it fine to consider the restart file(.rst) generated at
> the end of the first step to start the next step using pmemd.cuda program?
> Will it be a continuous run? As there is another option of pmemd.cuda.DPFP
> which will give more accurate restart files, I am a bit concerned about the
> restart files generated using pmemd.cuda.

The (default NetCDF) restarts from pmemd.cuda are written with full
double precision, just like the restarts from CPU pmemd; there really
is no "more accurate" than that. Is there a specific reason you are
concerned about restart files from pmemd.cuda? Have you seen strange
behavior etc?

> Also, what is the difference between pmemd.cuda and pmemd.cuda.SPFP?

Typically the former is a soft link to the latter. The SPFP refers to
the single-precision/fixed-precision model - for more details see
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010465512003098.

-Dan