Re: [AMBER] TI atom limit

From: <accuratefreeenergy.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 07:53:19 -0400

Hi Andrea,

        The TI limit of 200 atoms was set based on the assumption that TI regions should only contain few atoms. The design of the whole TI-GPU part is based on this assumption.

        Scientifically, TI/FEP are only practically useful when the perturbation is small. I would not suggest to do something like 200-atom mutated to nothing. Even you could do this kind of simulations, I don't think you will get any meaningful results--likely the errors will be huge.

        If this is a community consensus, technically we could increase the limit but it would also impact the performance because some pre-defined arrays on GPU would require more memory,...etc.

Taisung