Re: [AMBER] amd running error

From: Bill Ross <ross.cgl.ucsf.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 23:52:38 -0800

Generic debug for learning to handle blowups:

1. Plot out energies and volume. Energy components are of interest.

2. View trajectory.

3. Rerun with saving mdout, mdcrd more frequently if needed to get
better data.

4. Often there will be a cryptic message in mdout about two atoms, with
atom numbers, right as things go off the rails. Typically the force
field(s) for those atoms have some weakness that allows them to
superimpose, with two mos common causes (in order): one or both atoms'
vdw was mal-designed by you; or it involves highly-negative O's e.g. in
phosphates bending into some atom that, for it, is way too positive for
the Christmas season. :-)

Caveat/plus: these steps date back to the 1990's.

Bill