Re: [AMBER] Strange TIP3P solvent box distortions in Amber 18 with Mg2+

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 15:32:55 -0500

You need to run your equilibration in NPT. The solvent is contracting
around itself to minimize surface area like water would on the Space
Station. I'm not sure where the error is coming from--it's a very common
symptom of many things that can go wrong, but probably some particle has
somehow gotten accelerated to very high speed and the arithmetic gets
broken. The contraction you're seeing is going to happen in all systems
depending on how much vacuum space is initially present, and the artifact
is really a coalesced, more regular shaped vacuum bubble tiled with the
water / biomolecule. Because the box size is going to change under NPT,
you'll need to use the CPU version of the code at the start. Start with
minimization and a small timestep, then switch on NPT, and see how things
go.

Dave