Re: [AMBER] tleap does not add OXT when I load a crystal structure

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 08:57:53 -0500

On Thu, Dec 06, 2018, Thomas Evangelidis wrote:

>Thank you for the explanation. It seems that at some point the TER records
>were deleted while I was removing the ligand from the complex. But still
>the last protein residue is 385 and all following atoms belong to waters
>with resid starting from 501. tleap should be capable of recognizing the
>C-term. After all, it does recognize it when it writes the intermediate pdb
>file (protein1.pdb).

When writing a PDB file, tleap has a lot more information available than
when it is reading one. Basically, it knows where all the bonds are in
the system, and hence can check if there is a bond between two residues,
and consider adding a TER card if there is no bond.

When reading a PDB file, such information is not available.

While it is possible that tleap might be modified to recognize your
particular example, I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm moderately familiar
with many parts of that code, and I wouldn't have a clue about how to
even design a fix. And, it might well break other use cases, where the
user deliberately removed the TER cards, and would be upset if tleap
tried to over-ride that decision.

In any case, you now have a simple workaround, which also makes your
receptor.pdb file more compliant with the PDB standard.

....dac