Re: [AMBER] QMMM free energy calculations for alchemical changes using a coupling parameter in amber 18

From: Brian Radak <brian.radak.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 10:18:06 -0500

If you are doing TI with linear coupling then the data output is identical
to what would be needed for BAR/MBAR.

Convergence for pure QM/MM transformations would almost certainly have to
be worse unless the conformations and/or charge distributions of the MM
endpoints were substantially different. MM also has the distinct advantage
of being cleanly additive for staged decoupling.

The other question is whether or not QM/MM solvation models are even more
accurate then MM solvation models. The former certainly were never
calibrated to match experiment in any way. If anything, I would *expect*
them to be less quantitatively accurate. There have also been questions for
about 10-15 years now as to whether TIP3P or TIP4P models are "good"
solvation models (they make good pure liquid models, but that's not at all
the same thing). Why would a more accurate (really, just "higher level")
electrostatic representation suddenly improve things? It was flawed in some
specific ways (see the erratum), but I would recommend reading David
Mobley's comprehensive study of charge and solvent models for solvation
free energies (one of the JPCs I think?).

Cheers,
BKR