Re: [AMBER] rdf in one dimmension

From: Tom Kurtzman <simpleliquid.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 22:49:35 -0400

Hi Hadi, it sounds as if Dan has already written an analysis command to do
what you want.

It's probably worthwhile to understand what you are actually calculating
though so here is a brief explanation.

What you are looking for is the single particle distribution function
g(\vec r) which is defined as the number density at position \rho(\vec r)
divided by the density of the neat fluid \rho. The way this is calculated
in molecular dynamics simulations is by defining a volume element \vec r +
d \vec r about the position \vec r and calculating the average number of
particles found in that volume element (averaged over the frames of your MD
simulation). Generally the volume element is small enough so that there is
one particle in the region or zero particles. You calculate this average
then divide by the number that you would expect to find in the neat fluid.
 The rdf, btw is related in a trivial manner to the two particle
distribution function: g(\vec r_1, \vec r_2).

To define a g(z) along the z axis that you propose, for each value of z,
you'd define a region (a volume element) about the axis (e.g. a cube with
sides x-dx/2 to x+ dx/2, y-dy/2 to y+dy/2, and z-dz/2 to z+dz/2) where the
x,y are the values of the axis and z varies as you move up and down the
axis. For each volume element you'd calculate the average number of
particles found in the region (averaged over the frames of your MD
simulation) and divide by the number you'd expect to find in a volume of
that size.

This is likely similar to or exactly what Dan's code already does.

Tom