Re: [AMBER] Total energy of peptide simulation is positive

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 11:11:57 -0400

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017, Chetna Tyagi wrote:

> I simulated a peptide for 100 ns and upon mdout_analyzer.py analysis found
> that the Etot (Total energy) remains positive and equal to EKtot (kinetic
> energy). This was an implicit simulation. The resultant structure is
> expected and no problems arose there.
>
> Of course that means that the potential energy of the system (EPtot) did
> not contribute to the energy of the system and it almost remains at zero
> throughout.
>
> The kinetic energy and total energy overlap each other in the graph
> attached below.
>
> The energy remains positive all throughout. Is it normal?

The absolute values of potential energies are of little interest. Whether
the average potential energy is positive or negative depends a lot on the size
and sequence. You should look instead at secondary structure (for example),
or for *changes* in potential energies (which are relevant). The sort of
plots you have made so far are just the beginning: establshing that you
seem to have a stable simulation (but not much more).

...good luck...dac