Re: [AMBER] the meaning of NONBON in frcmod

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 05:11:06 -0400

I'd be wary of those specific parameters, especially if there's going to be
a charge on the Pt. With no Lennard-Jones properties it would be like a
polar hydrogen, possibly with a very large charge, and significantly more
spacing between it and any ligands with steric properties to help shield it
from bad interactions (i.e. water oxygen comes in and becomes
electrostatically attracted to the bare Pt core).

You might try putting some nominal Lennard-Jones parameters on the Pt, and
making use of Pengei Lee's MCPB.py tool (metal center parameter builder).
It implements the Seminario method, in particular, for deriving bonded
parameters to and from a metal center with the Hessian from a DFT
calculation. That may get you reasonable parameters for a totally bonded
model, and a fully bonded model would allow you to carry significant LJ
parameters on the Pt without disrupting the surrounding ligands (the LJ
interactions between Pt and bonded ligand atoms would be omitted by 1:2
exclustions).

When you assign LJ parameters to metal ions, don't fall into the trap that
some have before: using a very small Lennard-Jones epsilon. What this does
is push back the point at which any significant repulsive force is felt,
until WHOOSH the r12 potential kicks in big time. It creates a "hard wall"
sort of effect that will hurt your energy conservation with standard MD
integrators. Rather like the computational equivalent of shaking a ketchup
bottle until you finally exceed the shear needed to thin the fluid and dump
it all over your plate. Use epsilons in the range 0.1 to 0.25 kcal/mol if
at all feasible.

Dave