Re: [AMBER] the meaning of NONBON in frcmod

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 00:44:15 -0400

The parameters there are the Lennard-Jones sigma divided by 2^0.83333, in
other words times sigma times 2^(1/6) and divided by 2, followed by the
Lennard-Jones epsilon. These are natural quantities to consider, as twice
the first number will give the location of the minimum, and the second
number will give the depth of the minimum. It's also numerically more
convenient to work with those two quantities rather than the raw sigma and
epsilon if you write out the formula and factorize it (for similar reasons,
the partial charges in Amber topology files are scaled by 18.2223, the
square root of the famous conversion factor of 332.0535).

It looks like platinum in your frcmod, and yes, I can see how someone would
write in the comment "ATTN, needs revision." I don't think anyone has
decent Lennard-Jones parameters for platinum, and I doubt a general-purpose
pair of numbers truly exists.

Dave