[AMBER] cpptraj molsurf: query on results

From: George Tzotzos <gtzotzos.me.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2016 22:58:19 +0100

I’ve been trying to work out the effect of ligand binding on homodimer formation. I’m dealing with 2 X-ray structures involving the same receptor bound to two different ligands.

The ligands bind on the homodimer interface (one per subunit). The subunit main cavity is occupied by serendipitous ligands.

I performed explicit solvent MD simulations of the dimer complexes in which the serendipitous ligands were stripped. The starting coordinates and conformations of the biological ligands were as per X-ray model. I also performed two separate MD simulations (a) dimer without any ligands (serendipitous or biological) and (b) monomer without any ligands.

I used cpptraj molsurf to obtain the SASAs of the dimer interface residues. A typical example of a cpptraj input is:

parm complex_solv.prmtop
trajin prod_0-100ns.nc 1 10000 200
molsurf IntRes :71 out Val71.dat

The process was repeated for each interface residue for (1) monomer stripped of ligands; (2) dimer stripped of ligands; (3) dimer with ligand_1; (4) dimer with ligand_2

The dimer interface consists of 28 residues.

For all residues I obtained the same SASA. Typical examples are shown below.

Val71
His72
Leu73
Glu74
His77
monomer_apo
129.926556
154.186386
148.421838
142.796564
154.709454
dimer_apo
129.384386
154.215862
148.084478
143.101678
153.807794
dimer_deet
130.021954
154.398068
149.21626
143.135464
154.704514
dimer_6MH
129.644992
154.301966
149.275882
143.195312
154.090458

I find these results hard to explain unless the above input script is wrong.

Any suggestions would be most welcome

Regards

George