Re: [AMBER] cpptraj molsurf: query on results

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 08:30:45 -0700

Hi,

I don't think you can get what you want with the 'molsurf' command.
What it does is calculate the Connolly surface area of atoms specified
by <mask>, *not* the contribution of the atoms in <mask> to the
overall surface area. So the surface area of a single amino acid is
going to be pretty similar between different systems.

You could try using the 'surf' command instead, which does actually
calculate the contribution of atoms in <mask> to the overall surface
area. It uses the less accurate LCPO algorithm, but for the sake of
comparing different systems it's probably OK as long as no large-scale
conformational changes are occurring.

-Dan

Daniel R. Roe, PhD
Department of Medicinal Chemistry