Re: [AMBER] How to analyze mutational free energy difference?

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 13:55:21 -0500

in that case, you'll need to measure the deltaG of wild type to mutant in
the folded state, and also deltaG for wild type to mutant in the unfolded
state. You can't just do the folded state calculation using methods that I
know about. The unfolded state can be difficult to model due to the size of
the water box and also sampling the huge conformational space needed for
the averages to converge. Typically you would need to make some
approximations for the unfolded state calculation.

I suggest searching the literature to find examples of this sort of
calculation. It's at the very edge of what I would consider feasible, and
much will depend on the properties of your particular protein. The methods
can be very challenging, so rather than trying lots of possibilities you
want to look and see what has worked for others and then adapt it to your
needs. I would not suggest taking on a project like calculating the impact
of mutation of folding free energy without doing a literature search first.
Once you decide on methods, then the Amber list will be a great resource
for the technical questions you might have while implementing them.

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Mijiddorj Batsaikhan <b.mijiddorj.gmail.com