Re: [AMBER] cationic-pi interactions

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 23:37:02 -0500

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 10:56 PM, Jose luis Borioni <joseborioni.gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear users,
> In my MD simulation I can see cation-pi interactions between a protonated
> tertiary amine of the ligand and a tryptophane of the receptor, and I have
> a doubt about how the MM force field represents these interactions.
> Anyone know this?

​A combination of charge-charge and van der Waals interactions. Those are
the only non-bonded forces present in the Amber force field. The Amber
force field has a very simple functional form that you can look up just
about anywhere. Most of them omit common nonbonded exceptions (i.e.,
nonbonded interactions between pairs of atoms that form a bond or an angle
are omitted, and those between atoms forming a dihedral are scaled), but
other than that there is nothing "hidden" that goes into the simulation.

HTH,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher