Re: [AMBER] Paramfit, negative bond parameters

From: Robin Betz <robin.robinbetz.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 16:37:48 -0800

Hi David,

Negative bond parameters in Paramfit are an indication of a poor fitting
result. Try increasing the number of input structures, or not fitting bonds
simultaneously with other parameters. You may want to fit bond parameters
using a different method (simple quantum scan of the bond of interest, fit
function directly to that) or not fit those parameters at all. The program
is designed more for angles and primarily dihedrals.

A more detailed explanation of this is that Paramfit's fitting function
doesn't understand anything about chemistry, and while the initial
generation of random parameter sets is produced in a reasonable range,
there is nothing to prevent the algorithm from wandering outside of that
range trying to minimize the cost function (least squares difference of
energy). Often if it is allowed to mess with bond terms it will do so in
order to compensate for other deficiencies in the fit. Also, check your
final function value. If it is quite high, this is also indicative of a
poor fit.

Best,
Robin