Re: [AMBER] 3DRISM: erratic values for partial molar volume

From: Tyler Luchko (Lists) <"Tyler>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 11:30:39 -0800

Just a follow up for people interested in RISM.

While RISM is sensitive to conformational changes, on closer inspection the issue here was of numerical convergence. I recommend the following to ensure accurate results.

1) The requested tolerance roughly gives the relative numerical precision of the calculation. E.g., a tolerance of 1e-6 with produce excess chemical potentials with relative numerical error on the order of 1e-6 (5-6 digits of precision).

2) Try a sample calculation with double the solvent buffer length you are planning to use. The results from the two grid sizes should agree within the numerical error expected from 1).

3) For aqueous salt solutions, the grid length of the 1D-RISM calculation is extremely important. A good indicator of an appropriate grid length is the DELHV0 field in the Xvv file. Doubling the grid size should not significantly change DELHV0 (5-6 digits of agreement should be expected). Also, DELHV0 values for oppositely charged ions will agree to several digits. This ensures charge conservation in 3D-RISM, without which satisfying step 2) is not possible.

Hopefully this is helpful,

Tyler