Re: [AMBER] Replacement for xmgrace

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 08:08:48 -0500

On Mon, Feb 01, 2016, Lorenzo Gontrani wrote:

> xmgrace is great..and lightweight.

Just some (off-topic) comments about why I like xmgrace:

1. Plots generally look good and can be interactively edited if they don't.
Consider modifying your ~/.grace/templates/Default.agr file to specify
Helvetica as "font 0" (the default) and change 'xaxis label char size' to 1.25
(from 1.0); same for yaxis.

2. A single .agr file has both the data and the formatting in a single file.
This is good if you come back months or years later and don't remember your
file naming conventions.

3. You can also write simple scripts to systematically modify lots of
files, to replace the data but keep the formatting, etc. Once you grok the
file syntax (which is pretty straightforward), it's about as easy to write
scripts to create or manipulate xmgrace files as it is to write gnuplot or
matplotlib scripts.

4. Consider aliasing xmgrace to 'xmgrace -hdevice PDF'. This means that
"print" will create a PDF file (rather than the default PostScript). This is
likely to be what most people want.

....dac

(OK: I realize I've probably started a flame war here... Next up: why you
should write all your code in LISP.)