Re: [AMBER] OSX 10.11.1: Amber installation problem

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 15:34:25 -0500

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 1:19 PM, George Tzotzos <gtzotzos.me.com> wrote:

> I’ve recently upgraded my OSX to El Capitan (mistake!). A second mistake
> was that I deleted the MacPorts directory. I’m now trying to recompile
> Amber and AmberTools from scratch. Haven’t got very far at this point and
> any help would be very welcome.
>
> Having re-installed MacPorts, I’m calling ports to install gcc48. The
> installation fails giving the following error:
> ---> Fetching distfiles for gcc48
> ---> Attempting to fetch gcc-4.8.5.tar.bz2 from
> http://nue.de.distfiles.macports.org/macports/distfiles/gcc48
> ---> Verifying checksums for gcc48
> ---> Extracting gcc48
> ---> Applying patches to gcc48
> ---> Configuring gcc48
> ---> Building gcc48

​IIRC, gcc49 is the "oldest" gcc that you can really use with El Capitan.
Try using gcc49 instead of 48 with MacPorts. I don't have enough
experience with homebrew to really help in that regard. Besides, I rather
like MacPorts approach a little better in many regards.

All the best,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher