[AMBER] OSX 10.11.1: Amber installation problem

From: George Tzotzos <gtzotzos.me.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2015 19:19:47 +0100

I’ve recently upgraded my OSX to El Capitan (mistake!). A second mistake was that I deleted the MacPorts directory. I’m now trying to recompile Amber and AmberTools from scratch. Haven’t got very far at this point and any help would be very welcome.

Having re-installed MacPorts, I’m calling ports to install gcc48. The installation fails giving the following error:
---> Fetching distfiles for gcc48
---> Attempting to fetch gcc-4.8.5.tar.bz2 from http://nue.de.distfiles.macports.org/macports/distfiles/gcc48
---> Verifying checksums for gcc48
---> Extracting gcc48
---> Applying patches to gcc48
---> Configuring gcc48
---> Building gcc48
Error: org.macports.build for port gcc48 returned: command execution failed
Looking at the tail of the log, I get
"command_exec build"
    (procedure "portbuild::build_main" line 8)
    invoked from within
"portbuild::build_main org.macports.build"
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"eval $procedure $targetname"
:info:build Warning: targets not executed for gcc48: org.macports.activate org.macports.build org.macports.destroot org.macports.install

As a roundabout, I managed to install gcc48 from Homebrew. As I need a parallel installation of Amber, I called brew to install mpich2.
This throws the following error:
configure: error: No Fortran 77 compiler found. If you don't need to
        build any Fortran programs, you can disable Fortran support using
        --disable-fortran. If you do want to build Fortran
        programs, you need to install a Fortran compiler such as gfortran
        or ifort before you can proceed.

Any suggestions which Fortran compiler to use for the mpich2 installation? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Many thanks in advance

George