Re: [AMBER] free energy of solvation of small molecules

From: Fabian gmail <fabian.glaser.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 14:15:17 +0200

Dear Hannes,

thanks a lot, to be honest it will greatly help you if you go over the input files I prepared for the heating, equil and and prod for one lambda, and let me now what to change…. I just was trying to following the protocol on Kaus et al (dx.doi.org/10.1021/ct400340s | J. Chem. Theory Comput. 2013, 9, 4131−4139) since they do exactly what I want…. but I don't’ have experience at all with TI…. so any suggestion will be more than welcomed.

If you have the time, I would be very grateful if you could take a quick look and tell me what to correct or what is the protocol your recommend in this case. I already reduced the minimisation steps to 500.

So regarding the equilibration time I should increment the time by how much ? I start with 500 ps for lambda 0, then 1 ps lambda 0.1 then 1.5 0.2 etc.? Is that a good strategy?

I paste here the four input files I prepared following Kaus paper (again my goal is to try and calculate solvation energy of a drug). I would be very grateful for any correction….This inputs are for clambda = 0, but I thought to use them for every lambda, now that you mention the void issue, I understand I need to increase the equilibration time.

Here they are, in the order I thought to use it for every lambda, obviously changing the clambda value in each case see PBS file below.

I will highly appreciate also if you could recommend how to make the analysis later, I understand they are several tools….

Thanks!!

Fabian

===========
minimisation 500 steps
 &cntrl
        imin = 1,
        ntmin = 2,
        maxcyc = 500,
        ntpr = 20,
        ntwe = 20,
        ntb = 1,
        cut = 8.0

        clambda = 0.0,
        scalpha = 0.5,
        scbeta = 12.0,
        logdvdl = 0,

        icfe = 1,
        ifsc = 1,
        timask1='',
        timask2=':1',
        scmask1='',
        scmask2=':1',
 /
 &ewald
 /

============
heating constant vol 500 ps
&cntrl
        imin = 0,
        nstlim = 250000,
        irest = 0,
        ntx = 1,
        dt = 0.002,
        nmropt = 1,

        ntb=2,
        ntp=1,
        ntt = 3,
        gamma_ln = 2,
        pres0 = 1.0,

        temp0 = 300.0,
        tempi = 0.0,
        tautp = 1.0,
        cut = 8.0,

        ntc = 2,
        ntf = 1,
        ntxo=2,
        ioutfm = 1,
        iwrap = 1,

        ntwe = 1000,
        ntwx = 1000,
        ntpr = 1000,
        ntwr = 5000,

        clambda = 0.0,
        scalpha = 0.5,
        scbeta = 12.0,
        logdvdl = 0,
        icfe = 1,
        ifsc = 1,
        timask1='',
        timask2=':1',
        scmask1='',
        scmask2=':1',

/
&ewald
/

/
&wt TYPE='TEMP0', istep1=0, istep2=25000,
  value1=0.1, value2=300.0,
/
 &wt TYPE='END'
/

============
heating constant vol 500 ps
&cntrl
        imin = 0,
        nstlim = 250000,
        irest = 0,
        ntx = 1,
        dt = 0.002,
        nmropt = 1,

        ntb=2,
        ntp=1,
        ntt = 3,
        gamma_ln = 2,
        pres0 = 1.0,

        temp0 = 300.0,
        tempi = 0.0,
        tautp = 1.0,
        cut = 8.0,

        ntc = 2,
        ntf = 1,
        ntxo=2,
        ioutfm = 1,
        iwrap = 1,

        ntwe = 1000,
        ntwx = 1000,
        ntpr = 1000,
        ntwr = 5000,

        clambda = 0.0,
        scalpha = 0.5,
        scbeta = 12.0,
        logdvdl = 0,
        icfe = 1,
        ifsc = 1,
        timask1='',
        timask2=':1',
        scmask1='',
        scmask2=':1',

/
&ewald
/

/
&wt TYPE='TEMP0', istep1=0, istep2=25000,
  value1=0.1, value2=300.0,
/
 &wt TYPE='END'
/

============
Constant Volume production 5ns
&cntrl
        imin = 0,
        nstlim = 2500000,
        irest = 1,
        ntx = 5,
        dt = 0.002,

        ntt = 3,
        temp0 = 300.0,
        gamma_ln = 2.0,
        ig = -1,
        ntc = 2,
        ntf = 1,

        ntb=1,
        ntp=0,
        ntxo=2,
        ioutfm = 1,
        iwrap = 1,

        ntwe = 1000,
        ntwx = 10000,
        ntpr = 10000,
        ntwr = 20000,

        icfe = 1,
        ifsc = 1,
        clambda = 0.0,
        scalpha = 0.5,
        scbeta = 12.0,
        logdvdl = 0,

        ifmbar = 1,
        bar_intervall = 100,
        bar_l_min = 0.0,
        bar_l_max = 1.0,
        bar_l_incr = 0.1,

        timask1='',
        timask2=':1',
        scmask1='',
        scmask2=':1',
 /
 &ewald
 /
================

#!/bin/bash

#PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=8
#PBS -N lam0

cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR

pmemd=/opt/amber14/bin/pmemd.MPI
mpirun="/usr/local/bin/mpirun -np 8"

prmtop="../../prmtop/SKF_avo_solv.prmtop"
inpcrd="../../prmtop/SKF_avo_solv.inpcrd"

echo "Minimising..."
$mpirun $pmemd -i min0.in -p $prmtop -c $inpcrd -O -o min0.out -e min0.en -inf min0.info -r min0.rst -l min0.log

echo "Heating constant pressure 0.5 ns ..."
$mpirun $pmemd -i heat0.in -p $prmtop -c min0.rst -O -o heat0.out -e heat0.en -inf heat0.info -r heat0.rst -x heat0.nc -l heat0.log

echo "Equil constant volume 0.5 ns..."
$mpirun $pmemd -i equil0.in -p $prmtop -c heat0.rst -O -o equil0.out -e equil0.en -inf equil0.info -r equil0.rst -x equil0.nc -l equil0.log

echo "Production constant volume 5 ns..."
$mpirun $pmemd -i prod0.in -p $prmtop -c equil0.rst -O -o prod0.out -e prod0.en -inf prod0.info -r prod0.rst -x prod0.nc -l prod0.log

Dr. Fabian Glaser
Head of the Structural Bioinformatics section

Bioinformatics Knowledge Unit - BKU
The Lorry I. Lokey Interdisciplinary Center for Life Sciences and Engineering
Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa 32000, ISRAEL

fglaser at technion dot ac dot il
Tel: +972 4 8293701
http://bku.technion.ac.il