Re: [AMBER] Stability calculations from MMGB/PBSA

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 07:35:56 -0500

300 kcal/mol coudl be reasonable for the change in stability if the
mutation introduces a very unfavorable interaction that prevents the
protein from folding. Keep in mind that 300 kcal is a huge number.

it is possible to use MMGBSA, but it will of course be approximate. keep in
mind that for a stability calculation you probably want delta delta G,
which means you are doing calculations for 4 states (folded and unfolded
for wild type, folded and unfolded for mutant). how you set that up and
which terms you include in the delta G calculation will influence the
accuracy of your results. You also need to decide how to do the calculation
for the unfolded state - almost certainly you cannot sample over the entire
unfolded ensemble and need to make some approximations instead, such as
using a short peptide as a model for unfolded protein. You may also need to
make assumptions about the native structure of the mutants, unless you know
that from experiment.