Re: [AMBER] small energy jump when restoring a simulation production

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 15:48:29 -0400

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Fabian Glaser <fabian.glaser.gmail.com>
wrote:

> So let me see if I understand, should I use the same refc file for all
> runs?

​That depends. If you don't use the same one (but instead use the same as
the inpcrd file), you will always see a sharp reduction in the total​
potential energy at the start of each simulation due to the drop in
potential energy.

I always use the same file for -c and -ref, but since I always discard the
restrained part of my simulation before analysis, it doesn't matter.

> In my example the original equil.rst?
>
> so the constraints will be always around the same position for every atom
> OK thanks! I think I understand my mistake.

​The only "mistake" in using different restarts was the initial surprise at
the resulting energy jump across simulations. However, if you plan on
*using* the restrained trajectories during your analysis, you need to be a
lot more careful about exactly how you define those restraints (and I'd
recommend against doing that).

> I only use them since I have an array of peptides from the original unit
> cell that I want to keep more or less in place.

​Well it's hard (impossible?) to say how those restraints are impacting the
thermodynamics of your simulation (or what effect it will have on the
MM-PBSA binding free energies you get from it). So it's something you
should think carefully about.

HTH,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University