Re: [AMBER] Restraints

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 09:41:37 -0400

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 9:31 AM, Wong Li Zhe <Wong.LiZhe.student.imu.edu.my>
wrote:

> And on another note, as I am quite new to Linux and I am using it to
> conduct AMBER, was wondering how should I run my protein model in a server
> instead of PC?
> Is there any specific command? How should I get my way around?

​Running any program in Amber is as simple as typing the name of the
program and providing the required command-line arguments. That command is
interpreted by the shell and executed. You can either do this directly in
a terminal, or you can write a file with a series of commands that will be
interpreted by the shell (typically called a shell script). This is true
on *every* Unix operating system (including all variants of Linux and Mac
OS X).

The only thing that makes a server special compared to a standard
workstation or laptop is that it is typically dedicated computational
hardware designed for widespread use. There are various ways to use server
resources for running calculations, and those depend on how the server (or
cluster) is set up to be used. Every server is different, so there is no
single recipe that works for all of them. Does this server have a queuing
system? (Typically used for larger-scale computational projects.) Are you
just supposed to log in and run the command interactively? It's unclear
how this server is set up, so I can't give specific tips on how to use it.
The correct person to ask these questions to is the person responsible for
maintaining this server.

HTH,
Jason

​P.S. This mailing list is not a good resource for learning Linux concepts
compared to self-experiment and many quality Linux tutorials you can find
online.

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher