Re: [AMBER] Non-equilibrium pulling with plane-point restraints

From: <achim.sandmann.chemie.stud.uni-erlangen.de>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 10:20:03 +0200

Hi Jacob,

i don't think the forces cancel each other out, but maybe the force that
keeps the peptide parallel could still be too weak, considering the
constant of 1.0 and the linear increase of the potential after 5 degrees.
Have you tried using a larger constant?

In my case, the steered reaction coordinate also worked well with
additional restraints, but I no longer got the distance over time for the
restrained coordinates.
If that is the case for your output as well, maybe a short restart at
medium pulling distance with only the restraints and no steered reaction
coordinate could tell how much the angle in the simulation reference frame
deviates from 0. Just in case VMD uses a different definition of some
sort.

with kind regards,
Achim

> Hi Achim,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion! Unless I?m interpreting the implementation of
> the plane-point restraint incorrectly, I believe the forces should be
> perpendicular and thus not interfere with each other. At least, this
> should be the case if the plane-point restraint is truly enforced in an
> angular coordinate while the pulling coordinate is radial.
>
> Thanks,
> Jacob
>
>> On Aug 27, 2015, at 12:46 AM, achim.sandmann.chemie.stud.uni-erlangen.de
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jacob,
>>
>> I haven't used the reaction coordinates often, I hope my suggestion
>> doesn't sound too trivial.
>> Maybe the force constant for the plane-point restraints are too weak to
>> have a significant impact on the simulation.
>>
>> Achim
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am having difficulties with simulations pulling a peptide away from
>>> surface. The surface is anchored in place with positional restraints
>>> while the peptide is pulled away from the surface with an increasing
>>> distance restraint. In order to keep the pulling coordinate roughly
>>> perpendicular to the surface, a plane-point restraint has been
>>> employed.
>>> Unfortunately, the pulling pathways seem to be quite random, with some
>>> drawing the peptide nearly parallel to the surface rather than away
>>> from
>>> it.

>>> Is there a fundamental physical flaw in this type of set-up? Or is
>>> there
>>> something wrong with my implementation of the restraints in AMBER?
>>> Any
>>> suggestions would be very much appreciated!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jacob
>>>
>>> sander input file:
>>>
>>> trajectory segment
>>> &cntrl
>>> imin = 0, nstlim = 800000, ntwr = 500,
>>> ntx = 1, irest = 0,
>>> igb = 5, gbsa = 1,
>>> saltcon = 0.000000,
>>> cut = 16.000000, surften = 0.005000,
>>> tempi = 300.000000, ntt = 3, temp0 = 300.000000,
>>> tautp = 1.000000, vrand = 500,
>>> gamma_ln = 2.000000, vlimit = 0.000000,
>>> ntc = 2, ntf = 2, tol = 1.0d-8,
>>> dt = 0.002000, nrespa = 2,
>>> ntb = 0, iwrap = 0, nscm = 510,
>>> ntpr = 500, ntave = 0,
>>> ioutfm = 0, ntwx = 500, ntwe = 500,
>>> ig = -1,
>>> jar=1,
>>> nmropt = 1,
>>> ntr = 1,
>>> restraint_wt=20.000000,
>>> restraintmask=':2-12,16,26,30,40,44,54,58,68,72,82,86,96,100-110 |
>>> (!:2-12,16,26,30,40,44,54,58,68,72,82,86,96,100-110,113-124 &
>>> .CA,C,N)',
>>> &end
>>> &wt type='DUMPFREQ', istep1=500, &end
>>> &wt type='END' &end